Saturday, September 6, 2014

Rose - August's Ruby

Roses... women love them. Symbolically they carry a lot of meanings.

It was long ago that I last got flowers from Mr. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not complaining - we have three little monster at home (a.k.a. cats) that make the process short with any flowers, especially those in vases. So, they often don't last very long (they get eaten) and they often involve a lot of extra chores (the vases get knocked over). The only kinds of plants that seems to be working around here are orchids, they must taste bad haha.

Anyway, it was long ago that Mr brought me flowers, and therefore, I tend to get nostalgic when I see them. The courting days are long behind us, we are now on our tenth year living together and our seventh as a married couple. My! How time flies... It has been some very happy years :). Let me tell you about how Mr and I ended up together.

We met through mutual friends, and went out a couple of times. The second time Mr was very quiet, and I thought that things were going really badly. "I'll never hear from this guy again", I though while he was driving me home. The stereo was on playing songs by his favorite band, and I awkwardly tried to make conversation, it was uncomfortable.

As we stopped outside my home, the silence grew even more intense, and finally I said something like "Well, um, anyway, thank you for tonight", and was just about to get out when he said something unintelligible. "Sorry?", said I, and again came the mumbling, "pardon?". Then came the most unexpected thing I've ever heard in my life. He said, "I'm in love with you".

I was dumbstruck! Totally and utterly dumbstruck, I couldn't get a word out of my mouth for what seemed like ages, and the only words that were floating around in my head were in English, which would be weird to say out loud, since we're both Swedes (but I'm half American, hence the "head lingo"). Growing more and more panicked, I figured I'd have to say something to the poor guy, who had just confessed his feelings to me, and was sitting next to me, so vulnerable and anxious for my answer. So, I blurted out "feeling's mutual".

Since then, Mr has been at my side, best friend and boyfriend combined. He truly is the best :)

/MrsHjort


8 comments:

  1. What a sweet story! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Later on I figured out that the reason for his silence was that he was working up the courage to say those wonderful words to me. It was very sweet :)

      Delete
  2. That's so sweet! I love how a photo (or a flower in this case) can have such a deep meaning behind it, and a different story for every person.
    And the photo itself is of course lovely as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I think that's fascinating too, I really enjoy reading the comments om secretatlantis' photos for that reason :)

      Delete
  3. Our cat eats the flowers as well. I don't buy them as often as I'm afraid it will make her sick. (The cat)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, my cats never eat flowers that make them sick. My brother's cat has though, twice. It had to go to the vet and everything. I'm glad mine seem to have some common cat sense :)

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful tale of true love!
    I am currently listening to Tiger Army (through the Darkness at the moment) after your introduction (isn't Youtube wonderful?) I haven't heard of them before. Love the double bass which I see is often part of Psychobilly, what a fab term for a musical genre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is, isn't it. I'd never heard of the genre before I met Mr. I like it and Tiger Army a lot now, and not only because of the nostalgia :)

      Delete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...