Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Day 9 - Thorns

Today has been one of those days, you know of which I speak - the really bad ones that you really have to struggle through. So, prepare for one of my more philosophical ramblings ;)

This picture got me thinking of life; it's sort of like a thorny branch - it filled with beautiful things, things that make you smile and good days that make you happy. But, when you come to the thorns, it really stings! Sometimes there are more thorns than usual, but, then again, there will be times when the pretty red leafs take over too. Hopefully nature balances things out and you just have make the most of things.

My life has had it's fair shares of ups and downs, like any other, but I'm lucky to be able to say that I've been very happy, even though I've had to struggle sometimes. So, in days like this, I like to remind myself of just how good life really is, because, if you only focus on the thorns, they will take over.

So here goes; I am lucky to have a wonderful husband, as well as wonderful loving parents (and in-laws) who live close to me. I'm privileged to have a beautiful home to live in, an education and a job that I enjoy. I am fortunate to have the opportunity to peruse my interests and hobbies, and I get to hang out with a lot of cool people. And at last, but no way near the least; I am blessed with good health! Life is good :)

/MrsHjort

10 comments:

  1. I makes me so happy when people choose to look on the bright side. Sometimes it's just easier to focus on the bad, get down in the dumps, and complain about everything. Sure, there's definitely times for that, but in the grand scheme of things, would you rather look back on a period of your life (or your whole life!) and only see the negatives? I sure don't. I used to be more negative than I am now, but I made a conscious decision to be more optimistic, about everything. I'm so glad I did, life is just so much more enjoyable. For me, and for the people around me as well. I have my down days, as everyone does. But being happy is just so much more fun :)
    I actually have a book that I write down at least one thing that has made me happy, or that I am grateful for, that day. It's so uplifting, especially reading back through them. There's so much to appreciate in life!
    Ok, rant over. Lovely photo too, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I have had my downs too - times when I couldn't let go of the bad stuff and let it get to me - but dwelling on those kind of things is just destructive and it helps no one. The best thing is to move forward and try to leave the past in the past :).

      That book sounds like a wonderful thing. I do something similar. My students often gets to evaluate the education process and me by using an anonymous form at the end of a topic, or a semester. Some of them have written some really sweet things, and I have saved them :)

      Delete
  2. I can see you trying to be positive but can feel your pain and struggle. I have no idea what happened but glad that you push through the sadness/disappointment and see that there is good around you. Tomorrow will be a better day.
    I like this image which really is a representation of the dichotomy of what life is often like. Everything seems beautiful and pretty as we walk around with smiles on our faces but oftentimes they mask sadness and pain. Here the thorns are not obvious but definitely there. Take care, Natalie ((hugs)) ~Eury

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maggie. Yes, yesterday was a really hard day for me. I had to work long into the evening and I hardly had any sleep the night before (I was too stressed out), plus, it was very hectic and thing's just weren't going my way, at all. As a teacher you have to keep on a brave happy face - it's kind of like putting on a mask (as you aptly put it) - but yesterday.... well let's just say I've had better days. Today, has been much better though, thank you :) ((hugs back))

      Delete
  3. Even though thorns can sting badly when you touch them unexpectedly while gardening, they have beautifull colours that look even more intense against those soft green leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, thorns can be very pretty, as long as you stay away from them :)

      Delete
  4. This is lovely, such a nice color combo, which fits right in with the DOF

    ReplyDelete
  5. The wonderful thing about life is that we only have to live it one day at a time. That way it is never too good or too bad that we can't handle whatever it throws at us. I ove your image but am not so sure about the long crop. I am not sure the bottom leaves are adding enough to the story to justify the unusual crop size so I think I would crop them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Since I want all of my photos to have the same proportions for the final poster i "could" not have cropped it that way, even if I'd like to. Part of this challenge, for me, is working with this particular crop, trying to make the most of it.

      Delete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...