Saturday, September 27, 2014

Day 27 - True Colors

"Sedum spurium" is this plant's name. It has leaves all year around but during autumn some of the leaves turn red while others don't. I just love the way the crimson brightens up my flowerbeds.

There is color all around now - it's the time right before the trees start shedding their leaves for real, and everything is still hanging on. As I look out through my window I can see all possible shades of red, orange and green in a beautiful mix.

It's growing colder now, there has even been frost outside in the mornings, and I've already worn my winter jacket more than once. It won't be long now, before the trees are naked, the colors are gone and nature goes into its hibernation, awaiting the coming Spring. I hope winter is short this year.

/MrsHjort


5 comments:

  1. That is so interesting the way some of the leaves turn and some don't! Very pretty plant, but I think I would have liked to see the lone set of red leaves in sharpest focus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol, this was a rush shot, hence the sloppiness ;)

      Delete
  2. Ah, I recognize that. Many people have these type of plants in their garden and it brings nice color in the autumn.
    I want to thank you for visiting my blog and as for the leaves you were asking about, I have not made these myself. I bought them online. I had wanted to find some for years and years but never could and by accident found them while looking for something else. You can make them yourself but it takes the right kind of leaves and quite a bit of work and rarely do they come out as nicely. I bought mine from a Canadian vendor who sells them for something like 2.20 for 20 leaves. That's like 14 SEK! I bought 3 types and shipping was also 2.00 so very inexpensive. And they are flawless. You can get stained colors but I bought bleached ones as you can simply dip them in food coloring and make them any color you want. Here is a place in the UK that sells them:
    http://www.easycraft.com/cardmakingsupplies/skeleton-leaves/?gclid=CjwKEAjw456hBRDQ4eqg8MzA2W0SJABI2gJ8Z2Tigtl5oZWQgQ9I3EkA7JyJvNTn1ZL6F2c8ao-X0BoCWhTw_wcB
    Sorry about the long link. These look like they are even way cheaper than what I paid. You can also buy them on ebay from Hong Kong but I didn't want to wait 6 weeks for them even if shipping was free. If you do get some, please let me know when you put them on your blog as I would love to see the work you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie, it is I who should thank you, for taking the time to leave you wonderful comments here each day. I always look forward to reading them! So thank you, dear Maggie, for brightening my days with your kind words and insightful comments. And thank you so much for the link, I'll definitely check it out, and I'll let you know when I've tried it out :)

      Delete
  3. It's nice to see not only the final result of colour changes, but the in between stages!

    ReplyDelete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...