Thursday, September 25, 2014

Day 25 - Autumn Cat

Miiow, mieow! On my way to work today I heard meowing. As a cat owner one responds to the sound instinctively, like a mother to a child's cries. It's funny but it's true. It turned out that this little kitty cat (she's not mine) had been left out alone all night, and was eager for some attention, poor thing. She brushed up against me and looked disappointed when I could not take her with me and rescue her from the rain. I hope she got home alright.

One might wonder what's "autumny" about a cat in the rain, so, well, let me explain to you. So called "summer cats" are a bit of a problem here in Sweden. There are heartless (or ignorant) people who buy a kitten during the spring. The little kittie is cute and fun to play with for a while, but, when the Autumn comes, they grow bored with the almost full grown cat and abandon it where ever. They think that, since cats are natural hunters, the cat will be able to survive on its own, but they are sadly mistaken. Most summer cats don't survive the winter.

On a more positive note though, there are wonderful people too. I have a friend who once found a kitten in a waste bin (!), she still has her - Nova (the cat) now has the fortune to have a loving permanent home. I really admire people like that! They give me hope :)

/MrsHjort

10 comments:

  1. Poor kitty; seems so sad! :-(

    Our cat cat's mother was found by a friend, about to give birth and dumped in the bushes. When she had her babies, nobody wanted her as they were all white and spotted like the mom and she was tiny and grey. I didn't think I wanted a cat as I had never had one but once you hold that tiny ball in your hands, how can you not want her? 8 years later and I'm so glad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I simply cannot understand people who do such things, leave a poor pet to its fate like that. It's incomprehensible. You're a wonderful person to do that Maggie, that's yet an other reason to admire you. Reading your story really warmed my heart. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  2. Love the story behind this, even if it is a sad one. I hope you did give him/her a good stroke.
    My friend has just got a new rescue kitten, he's adorable but it is more work than he expected. He won't be abandoning it though, they're worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, of course I did, who could resist a purring meowing kittie? :). Cats are wonderful animals, each with their own personality. They may make a mess sometimes, but they bring a lot of joy too, and love. They are, absolutely worth the effort.

      Delete
  3. I hope this one does have a home to go to. It looks great against the background. Our cat was dumped as a little kitten and rescued. She has some funny ways and is still very nervous of strangers even 8 years later, but we love her dearly ( most of the time) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaaw, poor thing! How nice of you to give her a home. People like you are true heroes. Thank you for sharing Sarah.

      Delete
  4. I think your climate and mine are very similar. I see so many things in your photos that we also have in Minnesota, and at the same stage of "life". Your photos are all so wonderful and give me lots of inspiration to try to capture similar things. Thanks for sharing all your photos and your stories! Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nina, how nice of you to say. Your comment really brightened my day today :)

      Delete
  5. When I was still living at home, my mum found a kitten (probably only a few days/weeks old) at the local rubbish tip. There were always feral cats roaming around there, but mum called to this kitten and it came to her. Of course she couldn't leave it there (and mum isn't even a cat person)! We had that cat (Charlie) for many years after that. Hopefully the cat in your photo found it's way home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful story, thank you for sharing. It brings me hope to hear it :). I think she did find her way, I haven't seen her since and she seemed in good condition when I saw her - she definitely had a home :)

      Delete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...