Sunday, September 14, 2014

Day 14 - Hunter or Hunted

I found this little rascal in our garden today. Spiders are not my favorite animals, like most women I think they're kind of creepy, especially those big ones with long legs, uuurgh! Fortunately I almost never see them inside our house - since our cats like to catch them and enrich their usual diet of cat food. Our furry friends are very handy that way, they catch anything creepy that comes inside our home.

What creeps me out the most though is not spiders, nor any creepy crawly thing. I have this thing for jelly fish. I don't know why - I've never had a bad run in with them or anything like that, but I simply cannot swim in the ocean without getting totally paranoid and uncomfortable. So much so, that I could probably count the times I've be into the ocean on my fingers. This summer I've discovered something cool though.

Mr talked me into snorkeling when we were in Thailand, and after asking about 5 different locals about jelly fish I finally caved and tried it out. Anyway, I discovered that as long as I was able to see all around me, through the snorkel's glass, I felt safe, and it was a wonderful experience. I guess it all boils down to control - as long as I know the spiders are outside, and the jellies aren't close, I'm fine.

What creeps you out?

/MrsHjort

8 comments:

  1. Spiders and ants creep me out. I'm fine as long as they are outside, not too close to where I want to be. You were far braver than I'd be getting that close to a spider web. Unless you used a telephoto. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite close actually. This spider is very small though, only about a centimeter or so. The smaller they come, the braver I get :)

      Delete
  2. Fine image and good composition. I don't like things that are slimy. I once turned over a stone that had a huge slug-like thing under it and ran away screaming. I'm not too good with big bugs and stuff. Small things like mosquitoes and flies don't terrify me as much as annoy me. I hate the fact that if a mosquito lands on me, I know that I have to slap it hard and quick before it starts sucking my blood; the worse is that I actually have to slap myself! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound lot like me. Part of why I find jelly fish so disgusting is the sliminess! Gardening was a bit unsettling for me in the beginning too - because of the slimy things you find in the earth - It took a while for me to get used to the worms and stuff. I'm still not fond of them, but I don't go "uuuuuueeergh" each time I see them anymore (only when they're particularly icky haha).

      Delete
  3. Look at the bright side, spiders eat most of the annoying bugs like musquitos and flies. I would never ever touch them though and having a big one coming down from the ceiling above me does not make me happy to say the least ;)
    I wonder if you shot this soft/blurred all over on purpose, in a hurry or shaken with fright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that they do, and therefore I don't mind them, outside that is, where the flies are ;).

      As for the shot, I wanted it to be sharp, but since the lighting was really bad the smallest tremor in my hands made it blurry, this was the beast one, so I did what I could with it. I shot it at an angle purposely though, since I wanted to highlight the creepy bits ;)

      Delete
  4. I like how the spider is on the darker part of the background (don't know if that was intentional or not). Fortunately I don't think any creepy crawlies really creep me out. I grew up in the country, and nothing like that really phased me. Some bugs are definitely less desirable than others, but not to the point where I get truly scared. Hmm, now that I'm giving it some thought,wasps and hornets are things I'm not too chummy with I guess. Maybe flying biting things. That'll do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was intentional actually. Yes wasps can be a real pain. We've had a lot of them this year, ugh

      Delete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...