Sunday, August 10, 2014

Snowdrops - February's White Jade

As you may have noticed, my calendar of macros is set outside and features seasonal flowers. This has worked well so far, but I'm a little nervous about autumn, and the upcoming winter - particularly about December, since practically nothing grows outside at that point. We'll see. I'll manage somehow. I really want to make it this year.

Last year I sort of didn't make it. I write "sort of" because I actually have a shot belonging to each month but because W1K was doomed at one point (and was closing down), and a deadline was moved up, I didn't have time or opportunity to shoot anything before the early deadline (sometimes life gets in the way of things). Ironically, I shot a gorgeous shot the day after, but, at that point it was too late to enter it into the monthly contest. So my 2013 calender was complete, but only unofficially - the September shot was shot in September even though it didn't make it to W1K.

Now however, W1K is under new management and we don't really know what is going to happen. Thankfully, the new owners are wise enough not to take any rash decisions, and they try to listen to what we (the users) think, but the uncertainty is a bit unsettling. I hope for the best though, like I always do :).

Anyway, enough with the "background" to the calendar. February has always been the month of the year when I desperately search for signs of spring. It's usually one of those boring months when the snow has melted away and everything is brown and wilted, which really depresses me. I waited and waited looking hard for something to shoot, growing more nervous each day, but finally, at the end of the month the snowdrops started popping up. Oh joy! Those little buds spread such anticipation and optimism. They carry the promise of spring, longer daylight and color in the otherwise naked brown nature. This spring I really took the time to enjoy the sweet air of change and watch all those little changes each day. Spring is my favorite time of the year. What's yours?

/MrsHjort

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...